Bishop Bonner's Cottage Museum Dereham Heritage Trust
Search this site below
  • Welcome
  • Museum
    • Opening Times
    • Map
    • Volunteering
  • Dereham Heritage Trust
    • DHT Committee Members
    • DHT Constitution
    • DHT Privacy Policy
    • DHT Reports and AGM Minutes
  • Building History
  • News
  • Black History Month
  • Talks
  • Video Talks
  • DHT & DAS Newsletter Archive
  • History in the Making
  • John Craske - fisherman and artist, 1881-1943
  • William Hyde Wollaston - Dereham's Forgotten Scientist b1766
  • Jean De Narde - 1799
  • 19th Century Dereham
    • DEREHAM IN IT’S SETTING
    • MITFORD POPULATION BETWEEN 1801 AND 1871.
    • LIFE IN DEREHAM IN THE EARLY 1800s
    • LIFE IN DEREHAM IN LATER 1800’S
    • THE LOCAL BOARD OF EAST DEREHAM
    • ROADS
    • THE RAILWAYS
    • BREWERS AND BREWING IN DEREHAM
    • COMMERCIAL ROAD AND ITS ENVIRONS.
    • A PICTURE OF ETLING GREEN
    • DEREHAM SNAPSHOT OF 1881
    • HEALTH IN DEREHAM
    • NORFOLK MILITIA
  • World War One - Dereham
    • Dereham in Peace & War 1914
    • WW1 Red Cross Hospital
    • 1914 - 80 Army Horses Stampede through Dereham at Night
    • Doctor's Duigan's War
    • The Milk Brothers
    • The Eglen Brothers
    • WW1 motorcycle despatch rider from Dereham 1914
    • Christoper Gapp a Wheelwright at War
    • 1915 - Zeppelin Raid on Dereham
    • Songs of WW1
  • World War Two - Dereham, the Le Paradis Massacre
  • Archive and Collections
    • The Alan Cambridge Hobbies Collection
    • Bishop Bonner's Cottage 125 years of photographs
    • Horse Brass Collection
  • Dr. Augustus Jessopp - Arcadian Club Newsletter Archive
  • Dereham Books Reading List
  • Books on Dereham History Downloads
  • Duigan Family Archive
  • What to see in Dereham
  • Useful History Links
  • Join Our Emailing List
Picture
Sir Armine Wodehouse MP for Norfolk Colonel of the 2nd, or Eastern Regiment of Norfolk Militia, at a Review of his Regiment near Norwich, 1759

NORFOLK MILITIA

The Militia Bill was passed at an early stage of the Seven Years War, and a part time reserve force was duly raised in each county.

The French appeared to be making vigorous preparations for invasion and by the summer of 1757 the situation seemed desperate. Lord Townshend’s Militia Bill, in which he was warmly supported by Pitt, then the Secretary of State, gave English Civilians an opportunity to defend their own shores.

Each Lord Lieutenant was to command the Militia of his county and recruiting was the responsibility of him and his deputy lieutenants. Each county was to provide a given quota of men according to its population.  The men were chosen by ballot in each parish and had to serve for three years or they could provide substitutes or compound for a monetary payment, and there were various exemptions.

The Norfolk Militia was formed into two Battalions, The Eastern and Western, commanded by two Members of Parliament for the county, Sir
A Wodehouse and Lord Townshend, with Lord Orford as Colonel in Chief.

The men exercised once a fortnight for three years. In the book called ‘The Norfolk Assembly’ Ketton-Crèmer of Felbrigg Hall quotes Lady Townshend as saying ‘My Lord is at Dereham with his Militia playing soldiers’. He used the Park at Raynham to review his Militia, and it is believed there is a painting of this event.

Many years later in 1850 the Reverend Armstrong was made vicar of the considerable parish of Dereham in Norfolk. In his diary he mentions that the Dereham Volunteers held their first outdoor display in the Vicarage grounds in May. Families were invited and four tents which had been used in the Crimea in 1854/5 were erected for the benefit of the ladies. Two bands played at intervals and there were military movements, bugling, running, kneeling and firing.

In June 1859 a public meeting was held in the Corn Hall, Dereham, for the formation of a Dereham Rifle Volunteer Corps. The Reverend Armstrong made a short speech urging people to join. About thirty men did, the eldest an elderly fat banker of 70 years, and the youngest a seventeen year old.  They were kitted out in a grey uniform. The Corps met regularly to drill and exercise.

The following June the Queen reviewed no less that 30,000 Volunteer Rifles in Hyde Park, London. This was to give a warning that an invasion would meet with strong resistance.

The Dereham contingent continued to work hard and helped to put on a Subscription Concert the following November. It was recorded that the hall was full and the Dereham Rifles’ fife and drum band was a great attraction. In September they attended a review of 2,000 volunteers at Holkham Hall, hosted by Lord Leicester, who dined the whole force and 500 private guests too.

About this time competition was starting between the Corps of Dereham and Wymondham and in April 1862 a Rifle Match was staged at Swanton, which Dereham lost. As the day was windy it was said it was chancy shooting anyway! There was a Grand Entertainment given to the volunteers at Letton Hall, where a vast crowd assembled. 150 volunteers sat down to a dinner under a tent and speeches were given. Social events were held to raise money for needy volunteers.

It was a red letter day when the Dereham Volunteers marched with the Reverend Armstrong to the railway station to form a Guard of Honour for the Prince and Princess of Wales, and the Queen of Denmark who were en route to Costessey Hall.

The information in this section is taken from a document written by members of Dereham WEA and the University of Cambridge Board of Extra-Mural Studies led by Chris Barringer in 1989, and given to the Dereham Archive in 1998.
The original authors were: Joan Adams, Chris Barringer, Ben Norton, Teddy O' Donnell, Brian and Ruth Warwick-Smith, with help and additional material from Colin and Anne Chambers, Joy Lodey, Sharon Lake and Beryl Flatt.
The text was prepared for this website by Steffi Spooner.   
Picture
Registered Educational Charity (No.1187140)
© Dereham Heritage Trust, unless stated otherwise.


Web Design by Sue Walker

  • TripAdvisor